Thursday, April 5, 2007

Life With Twinfants




Where do I start? This adventure has been amazing so far and so different from what I think I expected. I had a lot of fear and worry about how tough things were going to be before the twins arrived. I wondered how in the world I would manage even simple tasks like getting the babies in the car, feeding both at the same time, changing double the diapers, dealing with two babies different needs, etc., etc. It’s funny, because I have never really stopped to think about “how am I going to do these things?” since they were born. I simply do them. The Lord has given me the skills and patience I need and away we go! I have heard from other Moms that when people ask “How do you do it?” they always answer…”You just do it.” I find myself saying that all the time now, too.

I can’t even explain the joy that these two beautiful babies have brought to me and our family. Yeah, it’s tough at times (and what parenting job isn’t?), but getting double the smiles and watching their development as a pair has been so much fun. I have a poem framed in the babies room that sums it up pretty well:

Some days seem endless,
My patience grows thin.
Why was I chosen
to be the Mother of TWINS?
The answer comes clear,
at the end of each day.
As I tuck them in bed,
to myself I say.
There's two to kiss,
there's two to hug.
And best of all,
there's two to love!

This week both babies have started rolling over. Ashley was the first, on Monday, and Aiden followed on Wednesday. They are working on grasping objects, and bringing their hands together and to their mouths. The last two nights they both slept nine hours straight (8p.m. to 5 a.m.) Wooohooooo! Ashley took two ounces from a bottle for me yesterday (Yay!). Dolores, Tyler’s daycare lady, has offered to work with Ashley all next week with the bottle. Hopefully we will be back in business with that again soon so I can get away a bit in the near future (assuming I can find someone or a couple someones willing to watch three children J.
The pictures I have here are kind of funny, because I could not get a clear shot of both babies. Someone was always moving and blurry, But I picked the best facial expressions to share. As you can see, Ashley is quite the character. She is very much a flirt and will give a gigantic smile to anyone who will look at her for the slightest moment. She is known to keep many-a-church-goer distracted during the pastor’s sermons (esp. those sitting behind us making goo goo ga ga faces at her). Aiden is a little more serious and loves most to be held by Mommy, but he also has a very infectious smile and he carries on “full conversations” with anyone willing to chat with him. They are both incredibly happy babies. I have been amazed at what great temperaments all three of my children have. How did Erik and I get so blessed?

3 comments:

Nana said...

It must be the grandparents!!!

GoughRMAK said...

I think I must agree with nana. I know 4 other great kids with a wonderful nana. It must be in the genes.

It sounds like you were "chosen" for the twins. I would ask the same question; "how do you do it"? I can handle it for a short time, but there is a reason I only have 2 kids. With 6 kids and 3 dogs in my house right, I have so many names running through my head, I can count on one hand the number of times someone has been called the correct name the first time.

Scott said...

God is good, isn't he? There are days that I wonder how I make it through, but most of the time, things just get done. :) Love to all!!! ~J